Monday, September 15, 2008

Walk On Donna!!!

My sister, Donna, that lives in San Diego came to Seattle to participate (for the 2nd year) in the 3-Day Breast Cancer Walk. She participates in San Diego as well (coming up in November) and puts a lot into it. Unfortunately for Donna, this just was NOT her year. She spent most of Thursday sick. I don't need to give you icky details, just know it was NOT good!!! She wasn't feeling well enough on Friday to participate in the 1st day of the walk & decided to let herself rest & try to get better. She got up Saturday & checked in with Jerrie and I while we drove to meet up with her. She wasn't feeling great but she was "walking on." We met up with her at the lunch pit stop and she wasn't feeling up to par. We were going to take her with us but the medics wanted to check her out first. This is Donna getting the royal treatment.
○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○
Temperature: Normal
A little rest: Great
○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○
In the end she was fine to leave so after completing 1/2 the Saturday walk (around 11'ish miles) we checked Donna out & headed back to the hotel.
○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○
Donna, Jerrie & Me

Donna & Me ... we look NOTHING alike!

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○
After hanging out at the hotel & giving Donna time to shower we headed to dinner. We went to The Cheesecake Factory and indulged on dessert as well (of course)!
○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○
Donna
Donna's, Mine & Jerrie's
○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○
This is Sunday morning before Jerrie & I headed home.
○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○
Donna in all her pink garb
Me & Donna
Awwwww, sisterly love!
One last shot of Donna walking on!
These are the little "treats" that Jerrie & I got for Donna to congratulate her on a job VERY well done! The trip didn't go according to plan but she sucked it up & did what she could. This was the least we could do for all she has done!!!
○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○
Jerrie & I then headed to the same mall where we ate dinner the night before to do a little more shopping and we had lunch at P.F. Chang's. We ventured across the street & saw this fabulous display that I, of course, LOVED!


○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○

At this point Donna wasn't sure how much, if any, of the walk she'd be able to do. She had to get in a long line to head to a 2nd destination for the beginning of the walk. Her plan was to check in with the medics and have them check her knees and ankles as they'd given her quite a bit of trouble the day before. We heard from her at the first 2 pit stops but then didn't hear from her again. I didn't know if she was ignoring my calls, passed out on the side of the road or what. I was worried. We finally heard from her around 4:30 and SHE WALKED THE WHOLE DAY! Yay for Donna! I know it wasn't easy for her being sick and definitely not 100% but she was able to complete the day and it's saying something about her that she could do it. Trust me, if you had seen her hobbling around Saturday night you'd have never thought it was possible!!!

CONGRATULATIONS DONNA ON A JOB WELL DONE!!!

4 comments:

Judy said...

Wow...very impressive for Donna!! I love the photos of everyone, and the details of her adventure. The 3-day walk is quite an accomplishment, even when you're feeling good, but under her conditions, it's like a miracle that she was able to walk at all, and especially all day on Sunday! Kudos to Donna!!!!!!!!

jkluginbill said...

Yay Donna! Way to go. I am so glad that I was able to
travel south (like a bird or something) with Cheryl and hang out with her big sister!

Fun times in Bellevue! Love the Cheesecake Factory!

Sharon said...

Awesome effort for a great cause. I'm sorry that Donna wasn't feeling well but at least she was able to walk some.

I'm jealous for the cheesecake!

angie said...

WAY TO GO, DONNA! I am so jealous because I want to do the 3-day like crazy. The closest one is in Chicago...and that's just a bit too far.

Do you think she'd come run my 5K for me on the 27th? I'll buy her...ummmm...something shiny...like aluminum foil...or something. She's totally going to say no, isn't she?

How's Calob's arm doing? And what about Callie? She's not doing any dangerous stunts or anything, is she?