Saturday, December 05, 2009

Marathon Club Finale

Callie has completed yet ANOTHER marathon! I am SO proud of her. She participated in the school sponsored program for the 5th year ... one of only 2 kids in her grade to finish all 5 years ... and she finished yet again. In case you forgot how it works, here you go. The kids can run, twice a week during their lunch recess. That means they give up their play time to run. Parents volunteers (including me) mark the cards. They have to finish 5 cards (5 miles on each card which equals 25 miles) during those lunch recesses in order to qualify to run "the final mile" at the high school with the other elementary schools in our town. They then run on an actual track and earn a medal when they finish. It's quite a big deal and an even bigger accomplishment. I commend Callie and all the kids who make the choice!!!
----------
The weather this year was horrendous. I'm thinking it was even worse than last year. To say the kids got wet is an understatement. They were soaked ... through layers of clothes. Definitely not the ideal night but exercise happens rain or shine (or so I hear). ☺
----------
My pictures were HORRIBLE this year.
That's Callie ... right in the middle of the picture.
Pausing for a quick picture ... and a bit wet.
With her medal after she finished.

Her sweatshirt is actually a light gray ... but as you can see, it's quite dark here because of all the rain. Lovely. I can't say I'm going to miss the marathon club myself. ☺

3 comments:

Sharon said...

Congratulations Callie!

I actually like the first picture ~ it's kind of cool!

Judy said...

Congratulations, Callie! You may have been soaking wet in the picture, but you were smoking red-hot to accomplish the marathon! I am so proud of you!

angie said...

That is FANTASTIC! Great job to finish so many!!!!!!